A Shamrock’n Weekend
Virginia Beach is about to get a little greener, and we’re not talking about the upcoming blooming spring! With the return of one of our favorite annual traditions, the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon Weekend, the “Luck of the Irish” is coming to the Resort Beach, and we can’t wait to celebrate. Each year, 30,000 runners decked out in green assemble at the oceanfront for a weekend jammed-packed with Celtic spirit, which permeates the TowneBank Shamrock 8K, the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon and the Anthem Shamrock Half Marathon, voted one of the best half marathons in the country by Runners World Magazine! For runners and non-runners alike, this is a spirited celebration that can’t be missed. Here are some of our favorite ways to make the most of the weekend for a St. Patty’s Day party to remember in true beach style.
- Check into your hotel at the oceanfront. We like the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront because it is close to the finish line at Neptune Park. You’ll thank us for that one after the race!
- Pick-up your race packet and bib number at the Shamrock Sports & Fitness Expo at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. The bib number will be your ticket to get into pretty much everything, so hang onto it!
- Grab a bite to eat at Murphy’s Grand Irish Pub. You can’t go wrong with their bangers and mash!
- Spend the evening sipping on some stouts at Green Flash Brewing.
- Wake up early to cheer on fellow runners participating in the TowneBank Shamrock 8K.
- Drop in for a healthy breakfast at The Green Cat Juice Bar. We’d recommend sticking with the official color of the weekend and opting for the Green Smoothie Bowl – delicious, nutritious and green. What more could you want?
- Spend the rest of the morning rocking out on the sand for day one of the Murphy’s Finish Line Celebration, featuring live music, plenty of Yuengling beer and Murphy’s famous Irish stew.
- If you didn’t fill up on stew, stop by Taste Unlimited for lunch. Don’t miss the weekly special “Peter’s Pick,” a mouthwatering corned beef Reuben with Smartmouth beer-braised cabbage, Swiss cheese and Smartmouth mustard on fresh multigrain bread – the perfect fuel for the rest of the weekend.
- Spend the rest of the afternoon checking out the Shamrock Weekend’s Speaker Series, featuring Jennifer Yuengling, Runners World Chief Running Officer, Bart Yasso and more.
- Head to Town Center for an evening on the town, and fuel up for tomorrow’s big race at Keegan’s Irish Pub & Restaurant. Be sure to stay awhile for their all-day St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
- Get to bed early. You don’t want to be too sleepy at the starting line!
- The main event has finally arrived. Layer up in green, and head out for a morning of running along the Atlantic Coast.
- Whether you’re aiming for a personal best or just trying to cross the finish line, finish the weekend off with the second, and final, day of the Murphy’s Finish Line Celebration, featuring the bands Vinyl Headlights, Cheap Thrills and Crazy X, for a rockin’ good time – if you still have any energy, that is!
When the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon Weekend comes to town, we’re all Irish. Get your green on and head to the beach for a weekend-long celebration unlike any other!